Burned-out fluorescent bulbs have a dark side you can avoid.
Whether you have the long, white tube-shaped bulbs on the newer style Compact Fluorescent Bulbs (CFLs), this type of bulb should never be thrown in the trash. They contain mercury, and if they break during disposal, that mercury is released into the environment, and it can build up over time. It’s a serious threat you want to prevent in our surrounding area. Take your burned-out bulbs to your local home improvement store for recycling. The shops below are equipped to handle these fragile products.
For details about the mercury in CFLs, visit the EPA.
Need an alternative or have a lot of bulbs to unload?
Find out more from these mail-in services: